With more households procuring even more consumer electronics, more electricity is being consumed to power those devices. And while devices in a single household consume minuscule amounts of electricity when turned off but still plugged in, multiply that by millions of households and that is a lot of wasted energy. It doesn’t have to be this way. While the consumer electronics manufacturers have been steadily building devices that consume less when turned off, saving even more on energy consumption should be the goal of every household.
Accell Corp. has built a surge protector called the GreenGenius Smart Surge Protector (Model 220) that is designed to mitigate or even eliminate so called Stand-by Power Loss, (electricity being used when a device is plugged in but not being used) by turning off the power to devices that are not in use. This is achieved by using the appropriate outlet on the GreenGenius surge protector. Five outlets on the surge protector have a built in sensor that detects when energy is not being used. It turns off any idle device that is not drawing power. Always on devices such as phones or house clocks can be plugged into the non-controlled outlets.
- Electrical rating: 125v, 15amps, 1875watts
- Maximum Energy Dissipation: 3600 Joules
- UL-1449 3rd Edition Clamp Rating L-N=330V, L-G=400V, N-G=400V
- Response Time: Instantaneous
- Circuit Breaker: 15 Amps resettable
- Protection Working Indicator: Red LED
- Ground Indicator: Green LED
- Phone Line Splitter and Surge Protection 1 in to 2 out
- Ethernet Surge Protection: 1 in to 1 out
- 2 pairs Coaxial (F pin) Cable and DSS Surge Protection (gold plated)
- EMI/RFI Noise Reduction: Up to 60dB from 100KHz to 50MHz
The device is a 10 outlet unit that features a master outlet that controls the switched outlets, five switched outlets, and four always on outlets for constant power.
Features of the device include a 6ft power cord, ground indicator light, 10 surge protected power outlets, sliding outlet covers, and a phone line splitter. The surge protector also has a noise reduction filter that filters so called dirty power, power that is affected by line noise or electrical static from radio frequency and electromagnetic interference.
The Smart Surge Protector also features 3600 joules surge protection, a $100,000 connected equipment guarantee (I really wonder if these companies pay out on such claims), and is recommended by the U.S. Department of Energy. It is priced at $54.99. For more information, visit www.accellcables.com